Transitions for Children Award
Shortlisted Entries -Early Childhood Ireland First 5 Award for Transitions for Children
The shortlisted entries for the Early Childhood Ireland First 5 Award for Transitions for Children are:
• Our Transition Story
Blackwater Childcare, Rathcarrig Estate, Pike Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork.
• New Wheels
Darndale Belcamp Integrated Childcare Services-Jigsaw, Darndale, Dublin 17.
Tír na nÓg, Athy, Co Kildare.
Watch the above video to find out which of our shortlisted entries has won and see their reaction to the news!
Early Childhood Ireland
National Annual Awards
Transitions for Children Award
This award category is sponsored through First 5: A Whole-of-Government Strategy for Babies, Young Children and their Families led by the Government of Ireland. A key objective of First 5 is that ‘children will be supported into and through transitions to and through Early Learning and Care settings onwards to primary school.
Transitions are a fact of life. They can be exciting, frightening, worrying, and enjoyable – often at the same time. Transitions may look and feel very different in and for diverse locations and communities. While each presents unique opportunities and challenges, a young child’s need to feel safe, secure, welcomed, and understood is universal throughout. For some Early Learning and Care settings, deep reflection on transitions in, within, and out of services is relatively new. However, meaningful and supportive strategies are being developed and implemented. This award brings such practice to a wider audience and promotes the future development of supportive transitions.
Early Childhood Ireland recognise that the single story submitted for this award may not feature all the potential transitions experiences for children and practices by services. The entry will just be judged using the criteria below that is most relevant to the content of the application.
Criteria for Short-listing and Judging – Transitions for Children Award
Please use the awards application form to demonstrate how the service has introduced a practice or process to:
Documentation and Supporting Evidence requirements
- The maximum word limit is 1000 words.
- Award entries must be factually accurate.
- Supportive evidence may include for e.g., relevant photographs, artwork but is not essential.
- Photograph submission form, if applicable.
- A completed application form. (all documents to be uploaded in word format only and not pdf)
- A signed Declaration.
- Consents for all photographs included (photographs will not be accepted without appropriate consents).
Resources to support you in applying for this award
- Transitions for children, Early Childhood Ireland and First 5 Award Winner – YouTube
- Mo Scéal | NCCA
- Aistear – The Early Childhood Curriculum Framework
- Síolta – The National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education
- National Annual Awards FAQ (embed link to page)
Key dates for your diary
19 April 2021
31 May 2021
Award Winners announced
8 October 2021
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Transitions for Children, Early Childhood Ireland and First 5 Award, led by the government of Ireland sponsored by DCEDIY